Lynne Smith Fund

Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Ignorance is Bliss, I guess."



The following is a story from one of Lynne's dearest friends. It is self-explanatory. Read on.. S


Regarding my colonoscopy…It was so weird! I had a baby in July. I had the normal bleeding, but it continued. In December I still noticed blood in my stool, and for some reason I was nervous about it. I remember telling my husband about it. I did not know why, but it made me uncomfortable. I did not do anything about it, but got to the point that I did not “look” when I went to the bathroom. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Then, I got the call from Lynne, and I could not believe it. She told me what was going on with her, and I shared with her my experience. She had told me that she had put it all to being pregnant and to just having a baby. I thought the same thing. So, she asked me to promise I would go to the doctor. I did, and they found a polyp that the doctor said was definitely pre-cancerous. He said had I waited till I was 50…the recommended age for a colonoscopy…who knows what would have been found.

I have shared this story with so many people, and many friends have gotten tested. Lynne’s story is heart breaking and I think it scares people. I know it scared me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping your promise to Lynne. So happy you no longer have to worry daily. Thanks for being brave for all of us. That's it... I'm getting tested.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, I had no idea this could happen so young. This is a tragic story, thank you for sharing it with us so we can be more aware.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home